Temporary Resident Permit

Temporary Residency (TR) is an immigration status in Canada given by an immigration officer to a foreign national that permits the foreign national to stay in Canada for a limited period of time. When a Temporary Residency Permit (TRP) is granted, foreign nationals must abide by the terms and conditions imposed by Canada’s immigration officers throughout the period of their temporary stay in Canada as follows:

  • Abide by and follow all Canadian Laws,
  • The duration foreign national may stay in Canada,
  • Not to work unless authorized, and
  • Not to study unless authorized.

A TRP is a document that authorizes a foreign national who is inadmissible or does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or Regulations either as a temporary resident or as a permanent resident to enter or remain in Canada. It is only given to a foreign national has a genuine reason or if their need to come to Canada outweighs the risk of that person being in the country. For example, an individual might be granted a TRP to visit Canada if the trip is work related and that person’s presence in Canada will be beneficial to the country or its citizens.

TRP is a unique permit and not same as a work or study permit, or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). These documents are clearly marked as visas or work and study permits. TRPs are only issued in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the processing officer and may be cancelled at any time.

If you need assistance with a TRP, please contact our office to discuss your specific case and determine eligibility.