Visitor Visas

Canada is home to millions of visitors each year. In fact, hundreds and thousands of people visit Canada every year to enjoy the many opportunities the country has to offer, including visiting family and friends. If you wish to come to Canada for a temporary purpose, you may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), unless you are a citizen from a “visa exempt” country.

A visitor visa also known as a TRV or Canada Tourist Visa is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed on your passport that shows you have met the requirements needed to enter Canada as a temporary resident. Most travelers need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. You may also need one if you’re transiting through a Canadian airport on your way to your final destination.

Types of Canada Visitor Visas include:

  • Visit/Tourism
  • Study
  • Work
  • Temporary Resident

Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada. At the port of entry, the immigration border services may allow you to stay for less or more than 6 months. Once you are given a period of stay, they will put the date you need to leave in your passport. The immigration officer might also give you a document called a visitor record, which will show the date you need to leave Canada.

To be eligible for a TRV, a foreign national must meet following requirements:

  • Have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • Be in good health,
  • Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions,
  • Convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets, or family that will take you back to your home country,
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit,
  • Have enough funds to support yourself and any accompanying family members for your stay,
  • May also need a letter of invitation from your family or friends living in Canada.