Work Permits

Work permits are generally required for foreign workers who wants to enter Canada to work on a temporary basis and fill skill and labor shortages in Canada. Work permits are granted for a period of up to 3 years after which a foreign national must leave Canada. If they want to continue their stay in Canada, they should apply for a Permanent Resident (PR) Visa once they become eligible during their 3 years stay in Canada.

Moreover, there are many different pathways to get a work permit depending on a foreign national’s particular situation and circumstances. Some of them include:

  • Getting a job offer before coming to Canada.
  • Completion of a degree, diploma, or certification while studying in Canada also known as Post Graduation Work Permit.
  • Work part time as a student during your studies in Canada

There are 2 main types of work permits – Open work permits and Employer-specific work permits.